Pros and cons of paying off a mortgage early
April 25 2018
- More cash flow: Once your mortgage is paid in full, you'll have fewer overhead costs on your home and lower monthly living expenses.
- Reduced financial stress: By eliminating your mortgage bill, you'll have more disposable income available.
- Increased equity in the home: A paid-in-full mortgage means you own the home outright and can sell it or turn it into a rental property at any time.
- Loss of tax benefits: Contributing extra funds to your 401(k) would have more tax advantages, and you'll lose the mortgage interest deduction.
- Reduced liquidity: Cashing in on your home equity is more difficult than accessing a savings account or rainy day fund.
- Savings starvation: By pouring all your money into your mortgage, you're likely starving other savings and investment accounts in the process.
"Your call is not an interruption to my day, but in fact... it is the REASON for it!"